Sister City Commission
PurposeThe Sister City Commission is appointed by and acts as an advisory body to the City Council and was created to expand the vision and goals of the Sister City program.
- 4 p.m.
- 4th Monday of every month
- City Hall, 7th Floor
200 S. Anaheim Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92805
Watch Live Meeting Video: August 23, 2021, 4:00 P.M.
There are 15 members in the commission (Roster). Each member shall be a resident of the City of Anaheim or other parties, including business owners, that a have a vested interest in Anaheim and the success of the sister city program; shall not hold any paid office or employment in the City government. Commission members may serve up to 2 consecutive 3-year terms and may not concurrently serve on 2 or more City boards and commissions.
The Anaheim Sister City Commission is responsible for the growth and development of its sister cities Mito, Japan and Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain. The commission works year round to develop Anaheim’s cultural exchange opportunities, economic development and exploration of future sister cities.
- Advise the City Council on matters concerning sister city relationships including the promotion of cultural/educational exchange and knowledge sharing.
- Recommend to the City Council bylaws, for City Council approval, which govern the commissions own internal procedures.
- Make recommendations to the City Council of goals, objectives and programs to ensure the successful management of existing sister city relationships and ensure their success and effectiveness, as measured by City Council approved goals, strategies, and programs.
- Develop recommendations regarding criteria for the establishment of new sister city relationships, including the creation of selection criteria that aim to match the City with suitable partners.
- Make recommendations to the City Council regarding the expenditure of funds that further the approved goals, strategies ,and programs.
- Perform such additional advisory functions as may be delegated or required by the City Council form time to time.
Anaheim’s sister city since 1976, Mito, Japan is located 70 miles north of Tokyo, is the Plum Blossom Capital and a center of commerce, culture, education and political power. The City of Anaheim hosts annual student exchange visits from Mito. Information about being a host family for a visiting Japanese student can be found on this page January 2015.
Anaheim’s sister city since 1998, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain is located in northern Spain, and is known for its magnificent cathedrals and museums and its rich historical, musical and artistic background. In recent years, Vitoria-Gasteiz has been recognized for its sustainability and green practices; much of which is knowledge shared between Anaheim and Vitoria-Gasteiz.
News2015 Mito Student Exchange Recap- SoCal Sister Cities
Photo/Video Gallery2015 Mito Student visit to Anaheim
Exchange OpportunitiesSummer 2020: Anaheim student visit to Mito, Japan
Host Family Application